History of the village

Establishment of the village Slatina

The village Slatina by Horažďovice, sometimes known as a Slatina by Lnáře, was established in the first half of the 12 th century, about a year 1150, and belongs with a few others as one of the oldest villages in the area. For example also the village “Na Hradišti“ earlier called "Na Gradišti", the village Pole – earlier Na poli, village Záboří, Bratronice, Slivonice and others. The area around the village Slatina was in that time thickly forested and very little settled. The settlement had a typical Slavonic character represented by the formerly scattered Slavonic colonies, whose centers had been Slavonic fortresses "Na Hradišti" by Kasejovice and also fortress "Na Práchni" by Horažďovice. Their history goes to the period when this area had been settled by Slavs.

The former Slavonic colony was developing in early medieval village. The oldest settled places are in the area where today house number 7, 22, 23, 24, 26, 27, 29, 31, 33 and 48 is. With consecutive settlement came to the village other families and occupied places on this settled side of village. House number 21, 28, 30, 45 and in the next colonization wave also number 2, 3, 4, 5 and other.

With regard to the name of village (Slatina means fen in czech) it's clear that was situated on a fenny land. There were used a higher situated, rocky and dryer places for settlement. The oldest gained land is exactly in the direction behind the areas mentioned above. These denizens became farmers. The oldest fields are located from Liští, through Trávníky, Stružka, Na dolích, k Novému, k Náramku a Hořicům. On all other places in the surroundings were thick woods. In about the year 1170, Slatina had already gained about 30 hectares of land (2 471 acres ).

Establishment of church court in Slatina

Very important for a development of village was the establishment of the church court in about the year 1220 and the building of a church devoted to St. Wenceslas by the St. George Monastery based in the Prague Castle. This monastery owned in this area‘s 7 church courts altogether.

St. George Monastery which is one of the oldest monasteries in Bohemia (established in 973), has largely parttaken on the colonization of this area. The above mentioned church court was also built with the St. Wenceslas church, one of the oldest in the area. Another church was build by the Johanits in Nový Bor, in the year 1283, than church in Chanovice till the year 1357 and church in Kadov in 1384.

St. George Monastery owned the church court in Slatina and Pole for 56 years till the year 1284, when bishop Tobias sold the court to Lord Bohuslav, bur grave of castle Zvikov for 170 “hřiven“ of silver (1 prague hřivna was equal to 254 grams of silver).

Slatina became a early medieval village

With establishment and development of church court and with additional colonization, the number of families in Slatina became 30 and numbered 160 inhabitants in total. Till today used dividing to "in the village" and to "in chalets" goes to this period of colonization and development of medieval village.

Burn out of the church in Slatina

The church in Slatina like the churches in surroundings were burned out during the Hussite wars. It was in the summer of 1421, when the owner of Slatina court was Střízek from Nebřehovice by Písek. In that time, Jan Žižka was migrating with his army for Rábí castle for the second time. Husite army burned out church and stronghold in Kadov and forced Přibík, owner of Kadov, to move to the temporary shelter of castle Rabí. Than Hussite troops reached Slatina and burned out local church. Part of Hussite troops was sent to burn out church in Chanovice, but they got lost in thick woods. The army than moved towards Velký Bor, where the Johanits church and castle was demolished. Next target was to date unconquered castle Rabí. During this second siege, the castle Rábí was conquered by Žižka`s troops, but Žižka was injured and lost one of his eyes. His eye was injured by arrow from Přibík`s long-bow.

Construction of the brick chapel in Slatina

On the place of burned out church was build St. Wenceslas brick chapel by the lords from Nebřehovice, who owned Slatina court for 203 years. In 1765, when the church in Kadov was build and consecrated to St. Wenceslas, Ferdinand Kunáš from Machovice devoted to Kadov church a silver chalice and canonicals from Slatina chapel. The chapel in Slatina was pulled down by earl Kristian from Lnáře, and on the same place was build just a small village chapel.

St. Wenceslas chapel

Listing of the owners of Slatina since 1220 till 1952

  • 1220 – 1284 St. George Monastery in Prague
  • 1284 – 1303 Lord Bohuslav, bur-grave of the castle Zvíkov
  • 1303 – 1426 Lords from Nebřehovice by Písek (Petr, Zdeněk, Jetrich, Střízek)
  • 1426 - 1436 Oldřich Kočka from Družetice (he bought Nebřehovice also with court in Slatina)
  • 1436 - 1517 Jan from Nebřehovic
  • 1517 - 1583 Lords from Oselec (Jindřich and Petr Oselecký)
  • 1583 - 1680 Lords Kokorovci from Kokorov by Nepomuk (Petr and Václav Záborský from Brloh)
  • 1680 - 1691 Lords from Horažďovice (Adam Opl and Václav Vojtech)
  • 1691 - 1765 Kunáš`s from Machovice from Hluboká (Václav Lev Jindřich, Aleš Ferdinand, Jan Josef and Jan Arnošt)
  • 1765 - 1810 Lords from Lnáře (earl František Kristián and František Linker)
  • 1810 - 1948 Lords from Chanovice (František Becher, Dr. Eduard Doubek, Isidor Smiedl and baron Pavel Goldegg)
  • 1948 - 1952 subdivision of court land in Slatina into the hands of small farmers

The renters of Lords from Chanovice

  • 1895 - 1907 František Polánka
  • 1907 - 1922 Vojtěch Doubravský
  • 1922 - 1924 granger Fárek
  • 1924 - 1948 Sýkora

Text based on materials from: Ing. Vladimír Klečka, CSc
Translation: Petr Vápeník